He’s written a book on model railroading and worked with the Tour de France; but he’s best known for his career in auto racing. Starting as an amateur sports car racer, Sam Posey established himself as one of America’s racing greats. Professionally, he made his mark racing Ford Mustangs and Dodge Chargers in the Trans Am series competing against the likes of Dan Gurney, Parnelli Jones and Jim Hall; drove in the USAC Championship Car Series, including a start at the Indy 500; raced in two Formula I World Championship events and entered the NASCAR fray driving in the first Grand National event of 1970. Retired from racing, Posey went on to a career as a race reporter, analyst and broadcaster- in addition to pursuing his other interests. He also amassed an amazing collection of race cars, some of which were on display at the Saratoga Auto Museum, the site of the Club’s September’s dinner-business meeting.
While members dined and enjoyed Posey’s cars, club officers brought them up-to-date on HCP happenings. The club, now at 618 strong, continues to add new members. With over $80,000 in the bank, club finances remain strong. The remainder of the year’s calendar offers much to do and planning for new year’s activities is well underway. Of note:
- Rooms are still available for the Club’s weekend get-away to the 1000 Islands, October 28-30. The trip includes a stay at the beautiful 1000 Islands Harbor Hotel, dinner and two breakfasts at the hotel, a boat trip on the St. Lawrence River and optional tours of Boldt Castle and the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY. Contact President Jim Morgan if you’re interested- firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The annual Club banquet will be held Saturday, Nov. 12th at the Clubhouse Restaurant at the Western Turnpike Golf Course on Rte. 20 in Guilderland, NY. The Clubhouse is operated by the Malozzi family so expect great food- and a great evening getting together with other club members.
- The banquet features a silent auction, proceeds going to local charities. Members are encouraged to consider approaching businesses with which they have a relationship for donations to the auction. Goodie baskets, gift certificates, bottles of wine, pet grooming, car related products- they all work.
- The Coats for Kids drive, another of the Club’s charitable activities is about to begin. If you have a winter coat at home you no longer wear, consider donating it to the drive. You can also participate by helping place donation boxes in various locations in the community. Contact Sharifa Perry at email@example.com if you’d like to help with the Club’s charitable efforts.
- A leaf peeping drive is scheduled for Sunday, October 16th. Watch for a Club email with more information.
- The new member luncheon will again be held at the Century House in Latham. If you’re a new member make it a point to attend. Great food and lots of club info. Saturday, March 11th.
- Next year’s social calendar will kick off in January with Sunday brunch at Saratoga Prime and a viewing of the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Our activities chair, Louis Dahoda, is looking for suggestions for Drive and Dine activities for February and March, months when most of our cars are still in hibernation. Contact Louis if you have any firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last year’s activities included a play at the Little Theatre in Saratoga and a session at Price Chopper’s Market 32 cooking school.
- The season’s last autocross will be held the weekend of October 8-9. Autocross chair, Matt Rutten, is working on staging the event at the SPAC parking lot. Matt say the condition of the lot promises a great day of autocross driving. Things are still in the planning process. Check the blog and your email for updates.
- The last dinner-business meeting of the year will be held Monday, Oct. 3rd at New Country in Clifton Park.
Finally, watch for some great new blog content. We’re working on ways to post alerts of Porsches on sale in our area and of available garage space for winter storage. We also hope to launch a marketplace where members can buy, sell and trade all things Porsche. Keep checking the blog for updates on these additions.
A look at the meeting and some of Sam Posey’s cars on display at the museum…